Certified International Trade (Export-Import) Professional (CITP)
This course is designed to provide the participant with a complete understanding of the techniques involved in successfully carrying out cross-border trading operations.
And success is measured here just as it is in the measurement of organizations in general. To quote Peter Drucker, “to avoid a loss”. The procedures, documentation and financing of international trading operations will be explored in depth. Also some of the legal constraints and what have become known as “Disincentives to Exporting”.
Lest one feels that actual export and import operations will be slighted along the way, a significant thrust of the program is to follow the path of a typical transaction through all of its stages from inception to successful completion.
- Barriers to Free Trade – Tariff Barriers, Non-Tariff Barriers (NTBs), Licensing.
- Sales, Trade and Payment Terms – The need for a common language and definitions; the important INCO terms – what they cover; the importance of the payment terms.
- “Documentation – You’re selling and don’t handle this aspect properly, you don’t get paid. You’re buying and you don’t get your merchandise.
- Importing — custom clearance, customs house brokers, learning the way around the 14,400 customs items and the hundreds of pages of regulations. Foreign Trade Zones.
- Legislation Affecting International Trade — The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act; Anti-Boycott; Export Trading Corp.; Foreign International Sales Corporation; Anti-Trust.
- Alternatives – Licensing, Joint Ventures, Foreign Subsidiaries, Contract Manufacture
- Electronic Commerce – A look at the world of trade related material that is available on the Internet.
- To be certified as CITP, student should take up a 1.5 hours exam at the designated examination centers.
- The qualifying exam would consist of 50 multiple choice questions, testing core certification modules.
- Professionals with relevant experience and other qualifying criteria may be exempted from the examination.
Module 1: Export Marketing
Module 2: Export Documentation / Correspondence
Module 3: Transportation & Packaging
Module 4: Export Finance