Certified Pet Nutrition Professional (CPNP)
Whether you work in a veterinary practice, a pet store, or have a pet that you adore, the Certified Pet Nutrition Professional certification can help you ensure that you feed your pet the best food that meets their specific needs and requirements.
The Certified Pet Nutrition Professional certification will give you valuable insight into ensuring that your pet or your clients’ beloved pets are fed the proper diet to meet their specific growth needs.
Certification Program Objectives:
- Learn about different food types, pet diets, and how to read pet food labels to ensure that your pet is always getting the best nutrition.
- Recognize the significance of pet nutrition.
- Discover the digestive system. Learn the distinctions between herbivores, omnivores, and carnivores, as well as which pets eat which foods.
- Determine how proper nutrition can aid in disease prevention.
- Learn about the different feeding stages in animals and how their diet changes as they grow from puppies or kittens to adults, as well as what they need to eat as seniors, pregnant, or lactating.
- Learn what is considered a healthy weight for a pet and about the various weight issues that the pet may face throughout their life.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 2 – 5 years of relevant work experience
- To be certified as CPNP, student should take up a 1.5 hours online exam conducted by AIPC.
- The qualifying exam would consist of 50 multiple choice questions, testing core certification modules.
- Professionals with relevant experience and other qualifying criteria may be exempted from the examination.
Module 1: Introduction to Food Types, Types of Diet, and Pet Food Labels
Module 2: Feeding Stages in a Pet’s Life
Module 3: Pet Weight and Food
Module 4: Species Specific Sources of Nutrition
Module 5: Dietary Supplements for Pets
Module 6: Addressing Dietary Restrictions and Allergies
* The modules of the certification are constantly updated and are subject to change.
Who Should Do This Certification:
This certification is ideal for individuals who have a profound passion for ensuring the health and well-being of pets through proper nutrition. Whether you’re already working in the pet care industry, looking to transition into a career focused on pet nutrition, or aiming to enhance your knowledge and skills in this field, the Certified Pet Nutrition Professional (CPNP) certification offers invaluable expertise and insights.
- Veterinarians and Vet Technicians: Professionals in the veterinary field can benefit significantly from the CPNP certification to expand their knowledge of pet nutrition and offer enhanced services to their clients. Understanding the principles of pet nutrition enables veterinarians to provide comprehensive care and dietary recommendations tailored to each pet’s specific needs.
- Pet Care Professionals: Individuals working in pet grooming salons, pet boarding facilities, and pet daycare centers can enhance their services by obtaining the CPNP certification. Knowledge of pet nutrition allows them to provide informed advice to pet owners on appropriate diets and feeding practices, contributing to the overall health and well-being of the animals in their care.
- Pet Owners and Enthusiasts: For pet owners who are passionate about providing the best possible care for their furry companions, the CPNP certification offers valuable insights into choosing the right foods, understanding dietary requirements, and recognizing signs of nutritional deficiencies or imbalances. By obtaining this certification, pet owners can make more informed decisions regarding their pets’ nutrition and overall health.
- Pet Store Employees: Professionals working in pet retail stores can benefit from the CPNP certification to better assist customers in selecting appropriate pet foods and supplements. With a deeper understanding of pet nutrition, they can provide expert guidance to pet owners, helping them choose products that align with their pets’ nutritional needs and preferences.
- Animal Shelter Staff and Volunteers: Those involved in animal welfare and rescue organizations can benefit from the CPNP certification to ensure the health and nutritional well-being of the animals under their care. Understanding proper nutrition is essential for managing the dietary needs of shelter animals and promoting their overall health, which can increase their chances of adoption and long-term well-being.
- Pet Industry Professionals: Individuals working in various sectors of the pet industry, including pet food manufacturing, nutrition consulting, and product development, can enhance their credentials and expertise by obtaining the CPNP certification. This certification demonstrates a commitment to upholding high standards of pet nutrition and ensures that professionals are well-equipped to contribute to the advancement of pet health and wellness.
Whether you’re a pet care professional, a dedicated pet owner, or someone passionate about improving the lives of pets, the Certified Pet Nutrition Professional (CPNP) certification equips you with the knowledge and skills needed to make informed decisions and promote the health and happiness of our beloved animal companions.